Integrity Legal - Law Firm in Bangkok | Bangkok Lawyer | Legal Services Thailand Back to
Integrity Legal

Legal Services & Resources 

Up to date legal information pertaining to Thai, American, & International Law.

Contact us: +66 2-266 3698

ResourcesVisa & Immigration LawVisa NewsBangkok USCIS Office Stops Taking I-407 Surrender As of July 1, 2019

Bangkok USCIS Office Stops Taking I-407 Surrender As of July 1, 2019

Transcript of the above video:

As the title of this video suggests, we are discussing the I-407 Surrender. For those who are unaware of what an I-407 Surrender is, an I-407 Surrender is filed when one wishes to abandon their Lawful Permanent Residence in the United States. This can happen for a number of reason; personal and otherwise, but  basically if one wishes to give up one's lawful permanent residence, also known as green card status, one may do so by abandoning, officially making note and filing,  an abandonment of their residence. In the past, it was possible to file for example at the USCIS Bangkok Office an I-407 Surrender. It is no longer going to be able to do that effective July one 2019.  

Quoting directly from a recent announcement from USCIS titled: USCIS will no Longer Accept I-407 Surrender at International Field Offices. Quoting directly:  "Beginning July 1, USCIS will no longer accept I-407 record of abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident status at International Field Offices by mail or in person. Individuals who wish to voluntarily record abandonment of their Lawful Permanent Resident status must submit form I-407 via mail to USCIS Eastern Foreign Center."  So I mean that pretty much sums it up. As of July 1, USCIS Bangkok is no longer going to be allowing the filing of notice of abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence here in the Kingdom of Thailand.

How this will operate, whether or not some other agency here in Thailand might pick up the slack for these kinds of filings remains to be seen. There is another video specifically made on this channel that talks about that issue a little bit more in detail. My personal opinion is I would say as a practical matter, moving forward it is no longer going to be possible to go ahead and file one's I-407 Surrender abroad.